Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Moving to Thailand

In addition to documenting our adoption, Ron and I have been asked to document our adventure moving to Thailand and our 3 years there!  Rather than making 2 separate blogs, I decided to combine them as when we're in Thailand, we'll be working on adopting a little girl.  So theoretically, our time in Thailand will also be part of the adoption abroad adventure!

On Ron's and I's third date, he gave me an article to read in the Special Operations Magazine that talked about this "Olmsted Scholarship."  The article discussed a scholarship that was available to Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine officers every year.  The scholarship entailed a year of intense language training, and then moving abroad to a designated country and pursuing a Master's degree there.  At the time, I told Ron that the scholarship sounded awesome and he should definitely apply!  Little did I know that 3 years later, here we are...ready to move to Thailand for the Olmsted Scholarship!

Last spring, Ron decided to go ahead and apply for the scholarship.  He went back and forth for which year was the best year to apply, but after being deployed, he decided he wanted more stability and a move good for his career.  I was 100% supportive, but tried not to be too hopeful as the scholarship is one of the military's most competitive.  Ron then went through the entire application process- contacting people, getting transcripts, writing essays, taking the GRE, etc.  Soon, his packet was done and submitted for review.

The Army first selected their top 15 candidates who would be finalists.  In October of last year, Ron was informed he was an Army finalist and his application was being sent to the Olmsted Board!  He would then "compete" with 15 people from each service (60 people total)  for the coveted 18 positions!  During that time, Ron was told we had to work on our country list- where we would be willing to go/live if he was chosen as a scholar.

The Olmsted Foundation had a list of approved countries and schools where scholars had gone previously.  The countries ranged from Brazil to China to Germany to Senegal.  There were 30 in total.  We were told that at least 5 of our countries needed to be from that list and the other 5 could be our choice!  Boy, was I excited!

Ron had wanted to move to Europe for the scholarship initially and I fought kicking and screaming!  In my mind, I thought, "If this scholarship keeps me from having a dream job for 3 years, and maybe even not working for 3 years, then I want to make it worth it."  Also, this scholarship entails that Ron has 9 more years in the Army, which means he'll retire with the Army.  I thought that the country we move to better be worth at LEAST 12 more years in the Army.  So, I went with the vet school saying, "Go BIG or go home."  Go big we went!

Ron and I both researched countless countries, cities and schools.  We finally had a list of about 30 places and had an entire Excel spreadsheet summarizing the schools, countries, languages, crime rates, etc.  We also looked to make sure the dogs could get into all the countries we considered.  No dogs, no Garbersons!  Finally, Ron and I sat down individually and ranked our list, 1-30.  We then added up the numbers and settled on our combined top 10!

Our final list included Spain, Argentina, China, Jordan, Saudi Arabia (yes, I would move there and wear a burka everyday- go BIG or go home remember), Thailand, Brazil, Chile and Japan.  

Once the Olmsted Board reviewed all of the 60 finalist applications, they called for interviews.  Ron had an hour-long interview with retired Generals and Admirals who questioned his want for the scholarship, my personal goals, how we would work as a family, and Ron's long-term goals, amongst many other topics.  Then, we were told to revise our list!  Jordan and Saudi Arabia were out!

So Ron and I went back to the drawing board.  We decided on United Arab Emirates, Qatar, China, Spain, Portugal, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Thailand and Japan.  And then we waited...and waited...and waited!

Finally, on March 13, the Board met and debated/argued/discussed the 60 finalists.  They voted on the final 18, and then got to work assigning countries.  On the night of March 13, I received an e-mail saying the Board had finished, but we were waiting on the results (Ron was in Cambodia at the time and so he made me his point of contact).  On March 14- nothing.  I was such a mess just waiting to hear what our future entailed!  Ron was 1/2 a world away and was equally anxious!

Finally, on the morning of March 15, as I was getting ready for work, I opened my e-mail and there was a message from the Army with the results.  When I opened and began reading, Ron's name was 1 of 5 names listed as a scholarship recipient!  Next to his name was Chiang Mai, Thailand- 7th on our list.  I screamed and couldn't contain my excitement.  Luckily, I was able to text Ron the news and he quickly called.  All I could say was, "We're moving to Thailand, BABY!"  

And that we are!  In 6 weeks, we'll be boarding a plane, dogs and all, to make the trip of a lifetime across the Pacific for 3 amazing, cultural-filled years in Thailand!

I was SO incredibly proud of Ron for being selected.  I knew how competitive the scholarship was and how hard he had worked to become a finalist- the permissions, signatures, letters of recommendation (including one from General Petraes), the essays, and the amazing work over the past 8 years.  Ron said this scholarship was the most significant achievements in his life thus far (besides winning my hand in marriage :) )!  I continue to be incredibly proud of Ron and thankful for the opportunities his hard work and the Army are granting us!

No comments:

Post a Comment