Saturday, June 23, 2012

Where to Move, When

Where to Move, When...

As many of you know, Ron and I are moving to Chiang Mai on August 12 of this year.  Although moving this summer now feels like the best decision, looking back, it was quite the process!

When we first found out about the Olmsted Scholarship, we were told that the Army would determine where Ron would receive a year of language training- either in Monterrey or Washington, DC.  In the back of our minds, we always knew that we could move to Thailand a year early for in country language training for a 3rd option- an idea we never fully considered :)...

Going into the Olmsted Scholarship, Ron and I were determined that I would work during his language training year.  We felt that since I worked so hard for my degree over the past 8 years, it was only "fair" that I could work one more year before moving.  As such, we never really toyed with the idea of me taking language courses at DLI (Defense Language Institute) with Ron.  When I started looking into jobs, I knew I didn't want to work in California- it takes forever to get a vet's license and I would have to take the CA State Board Exam- not an easy test!  Virginia and Maryland, however, made it easy to become licensed and there were many more job openings in the DC area.  Of course, Ron was assigned DLI in Monterrey.

Ron would have started Thai training in Monterrey in September.  However, it would be a beginning Thai class, and since Ron already knows some Thai from his training, it wasn't ideal.  Additionally, Ron would have to leave the class 5 months early so we could move to Thailand in April for his classes at the university to begin May.  In our minds, DLI in Monterrey was out...

When we asked about DC, we were told, "No."  We begged, pleaded, petitioned...and finally we were able to submit an appeal.  However, we wouldn't know the results until end of June...only to have to move July 1.  This wasn't going to work!  We petitioned again, and Ron was told he could have 5 months of Thai training in DC.  This sounded great, except it meant we would have to move across the country for 5 months, that I wouldn't be working in DC, and that we would still move to Thailand early.

Admist all of this, I began the epic search of finding work/something to do in Chiang Mai.  After researching countless vet clinics, making phone calls with Skype, and sending e-mails, I decided to expand my search.  I found 3 international schools in Chiang Mai that were all hiring certified teachers.  I thought, "If I can't work as a vet for 2 years, then I'll teach, expand my resume and get experience that will help with my vet career when we return."  I applied for the jobs and was told I couldn't teach because I wasn't certified to teach.  Have 2 undergraduate degrees and my doctorate made me eligible to teach college, but somehow I wasn't eligible to teach high school science, go figure.

So I began researching ways of obtaining my teaching certification.  The best solution was to obtain my Master's in Education with a teaching certificate (45 hours total).  I found several schools that offered such programs online, but almost all of them laughed at my plan- to complete all 45 hours in the next 52 weeks and complete my student teaching so that I could teach high school starting the Fall, 2013.  Finally, I found Drexel University in Pennsylvania.  At first, the admissions counselors weren't humored by my request.  But after my persistence, I finally was able to talk to the Dean of Admissions.  Applications were due 2 weeks ago, classes started in 4 days.  BUT if I got everything in, I could begin classes.  I could complete my classes by January, 2013 and student teach for 3 months.  I could have my Master's by August, 2013...But I had 4 days...Ready, set, GO!

So for a week, I worked like crazy getting all of my transcripts, applications, letters of recommendation, essays, etc. turned in and I was accepted.  Ron transferred his Post 9/11 GI Bill to me, which enables me to take 36 months of college classes valued at $17,500.00/year for free.  My plan is to use the first 12 months of his GI Bill for the Master's in Education.  Then, I'll use the remaining 24 months for my Master's in Public Health.  I figured I'll use every penny and every month available to get the most out of it.  At the very least, I'll come home from Thailand in 3 years with 2 Master's degrees...not too bad! :)

During all of this, one of the international schools in Chiang Mai e-mailed me and said they were having a hard time finding a science teacher and wanted to interview me.  I eagerly accepted and did really well.  However, I was told that although they loved me, if a certified teacher applies, legally they have to offer the position to them.  I understood.

But this got Ron and I thinking....

Rather than trying to make things work here in the US with my work and Master's degree, as well as finding the best program for Ron to learn Thai, let's just do it...let's move to Thailand a year early.

So we really got thinking...how do we do that?  When will we move?  What will I do?  Where will Ron study?  Soon, all of the pieces began coming together and it was evident that this was the right move for us.

Within 2 days of toying with this idea, Ron e-mailed DLI and the Olmsted Foundation and informed them of our new plan.  Within a week, Ron was working on our country clearances.  Once those were completed, our orders were written...

Ron e-mailed me the orders and I read...Report on or before August 13, 2012.  It was REAL!  We were moving to Thailand in 4 months!

Then reality set in...

I had to tell work I was moving (not an easy thing to do).  We had to put our NEW house that we bought and moved into 3 months prior up for rent.  We had to find ways to get the dogs to Thailand.  We had to schedule moving our household goods.  We had to begin the house hunt...

Ron and I initially were planning on moving on August 13, a Monday.  But after much thought, we thought a Sunday would be easier as friends could help us at the airport.  Also, the 12th is my birthday, and besides our 2 adopted kiddos that will be our birthday/Christmas presents for years to come, I couldn't think of any other better birthday present than to move to Thailand!

So on August 12, we'll be boarding a plane headed to Bangkok, Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment