Wednesday, April 17, 2013

GOTCHA DAY: Part 1

On Monday, February 25, we celebrated Aidan's GOTCHA Day- the day he was forever ours!

Prior to arriving in Addis, Ron and I arranged our flights out of Bangkok.  I was flying directly to Addis from Bangkok on Ethiopian Airlines- only a 9-hour flight!  Ron was flying from Bangkok to Johanesburg, South Africa, before heading to Addis after an 8-hour layover.  We decided it would be best to save the money for other things and use miles for Ron's flight.


Upon arriving in Addis, I was met by the Adoption Avenues staff outside the airport.  It was amazing to be back in Ethiopia, see her people and experience the sites once more.  The feeling of being back was overwhelming and was something I wasn't expecting.  I was so overcome with emotion that I started crying on the way from the airport to the guest house.  There's just something about Ethiopia that got me- maybe it's just because Aidan was born there- but I have a feeling it's more.  It's the country and people- and one of the most amazing, hopeful, faithful, enduring places on earth!

During the drive, I asked the driver if there were other families at the guest house.  I already knew our friends, the Brooks, were there.  We met them in January when they were in Ethiopia for court to adoption their son.  Ron and I loved our time with Katie and Ben and enjoyed staying in touch over the past 6 weeks.  They were an amazing source of positive encouragement and hope during the last weeks of waiting!

I was told there was another family at the guest house- there for court.  When I asked for more information, I was told they were adopting two children...a boy and a girl.  My heart froze.  I thought, "Could it possibly be Kimaya's parents?", the little girl who shared the paperwork mix-up from Aidan's orphanage?  I asked more, and the driver said the last name was Ebbs.  I knew it!  I remembered that last name from Kimaya's crib.  It was them!  I started crying...again.  Somehow, in all this crazy journey, everything managed to come to a perfect close.  By having Kimaya's parents at the guest house, and her being legally adopted, Aidan's paperwork trail and story would be complete.  Words cannot describe how grateful I was that the Ebbs family would be at the guest house.  It is crazy how it all worked out, but unbelievably perfect!

When we arrived at the guest house, I felt my heart begin to race.  It was very familiar and exciting.  I knew that in less than 2 hours, Aidan would be in my arms forever!  But I had to get ready!

I was immediately greeted by Katie, Ben and Benyam Samuel!  He had grown so much and looked great!  He was quite the little chunker in fact, but as cute as ever!  The best part was seeing him in Katie's arms!  She was beaming and Watching other families experience adoption is like watching another family experience a birth.  It is unbelievably raw, emotional, intense and intimate.  By sharing these moments, we are forever bonded and connected. 

I was introduced to Sues and Brent Ebbs- Kimaya's parents.  They were wonderful.  They are from Colorado and have 2 biological children at home.  I immediately hugged Sues and started crying (I know- it was an emotional day)!  I explained the story of Aidan and why I was so grateful that they were in Ethiopia.  They couldn't believe the story and loved having the connection.  Brent and Sues are some of the nicest people and I know Kimaya (Anna) and Tola (Tim) are blessed to have them as parents.

The dear staff from the Adoption Avenues guest house were also there and it was wonderful seeing them again!  We all shared hugs and catching up.  They became life family during our last trip, which only continued as they helped take care of Aidan and watch us learn how to be parents this trip. 

Soon, I was in my room, quickly unpacking, getting things ready for Aidan.  Diapers, clothes, bottles, toys, his lion stuffed animal, etc.  Then, I had to get ready!  It was less than an hour until "Go time!" and I had to hurry!  After a quick shower (the water heaters in the guest house had recently been replaced and the shower was warm- an amazing feat in Ethiopia)!  I ate a fast breakfast and then waited...and waited...and waited!  Those last 10 minutes seemed to take FOREVER!  I wanted to be with Aidan, to have him in my arms, and to tell him how much I loved and missed him!


Soon, Eshetu, our driver arrived and I was ready to go!  It was great seeing Eshetu and catching up with him on the way to the foster home.  We had kept in touch over Facebook and he will always be a wonderful friend for our family! 

Once arriving into the foster home doors, yet another wave of emotion hit.  This was IT!  From this day on, I was a Mom to a truly amazing son.  The seconds felt like hours as I waited for Bedassa to be brought downstairs!  Sues was able to tape the GOTCHA moment for us!  The moment I saw Aidan, my heart flipped.  He had grown so much- his hair was longer- he looked older- but still perfect!  I held him, cried, told him how much I loved him and squeezed him tight while I kissed his face.  He was OURS...FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS!

After rebonding, Aidan fell asleep in my arms after a bottle.  I was able to sign the required documents to "check him out" of the foster home.  This meant that Ron and I received guardianship rights and Adoption Avenues was no longer responsible.  What an amazing feeling.



At lunch time, I was able to get into the car to head back to the guest house for lunch- with Aidan in my arms!  What a feeling.  After 10 months of tears, paperwork, phone calls, e-mails, prayers and research, this was happening.  Aidan was ours and he was out of the Ethiopian orphanage system, into our arms, hearts and family!  Through all the ups and downs, it was beyond worth it! 


Although there are estimates that there are still 5 million orphans living in Ethiopia, there are now 5 million MINUS one.  Although Aidan is just one, he's so much more in our minds.  And even though he is just one (or WAS just one orphan), there is still one less orphan and one more family.  I honestly don't think there is anything more beautiful than that!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so exciting!
    I guess every single moment you spend together is special!

    ReplyDelete