Wednesday, April 17, 2013

We Cleared Embassy!

I know it's been awhile since I've last posted (a few months in fact), but we've been busy!  I'm backlogged with things to document for Aidan, as well as others that are interested.  I've recently looked at the statistics for my blog, and I'm amazed- even though I haven't posted anything in 2 months, my blog is viewed about 60 times a day and from people in over 20 countries.  Most of the search words used to find this blog involve adoption.  I'm hoping that for those reading, this blog serves as a guide, inspiration, resource and source of entertainment regarding adoption.  If this blog encourages or helps at least one other family adopt, then I feel like all my effort and time has been very well spent!

On Friday, February 22, Ron and I received one of the most life-changing e-mails we had ever received- our adoption of Aidan was cleared by the US Embassy, his Visa was approved and we could go and pick him up...FOREVER!  There are no words to describe the emotions felt reading that e-mail- sheer joy, excitement, nervousness, relief, anticipation, and LOVE!


Leading up to this event, we had passed court on January 23rd, two weeks after we left Ethiopia, and Aidan.  Our agency, Adoption Avenues, then went on a required paperwork hunt to get Aidan's new Ethiopian birth certificate with our names on it as his parents, his Ethiopian passport and a medical exam required by the US Embassy.

On Wednesday, February 13, we were submitted to Embassy.  Around 7PM Thailand time, we received an e-mail from the US Embassy stating that our case was submitted.  We were at a friend's house and I did a crazy happy dance (ok, more like spastic screams and jumps)!  We later received an e-mail saying that our case passed preliminary review, which meant that all required documentation was submitted.

On Friday, February 15, we received an e-mail stating that Aidan's birth mother was requested for an interview.  This is required for all children that are relinquished by their birth families- someone from the birth family must arrive at the US Embassy for an interview.  During this interview, they are asked why they relinquished their child, if they understand that their child has been adopted, and if they fully understand what that means.  My heart broke for Aidan's mom during this journey.  She chose life for OUR son 10 months previously and was required to continue to relive her decision through interrogations.

Thursday, February 21 was my Ethiopian angel's interview.  We were hoping we would clear the US Embassy that day, but we didn't.  Many families clear the same day as the interview.  When we didn't receive an e-mail by 11PM Cambodia time (we were visiting in Angkor Wat for a vacation/babymoon), I began to freak out.  I thought something was wrong- that we wouldn't clear- that it would be even more weeks before I could hold Aidan in my arms forever.  I cried, and cried, and cried.


But then, good news...friends of ours cleared Embassy just minutes before it closed...and their birth mother interview was the day before.  I had hope...Aidan might clear, too!  Hearing our friends' elating news lifted my spirits and put things back in perspective.  This was adoption- nothing is black and white, predictable, or in my control.  I had to have faith!

The next morning, Ron and I took a bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.  We arrived around noon Cambodia time, about 8AM Ethiopia time.  I was dying to check our e-mail.  We walked to a small outdoor cafe on the Mekong River and sat down.  We turned on our computer, logged into our e-mail and THERE...two e-mails from the US Embassy...


WE CLEARED EMBASSY!  I screamed and started crying.  Ron hugged me, and just kept holding me.  We had did it.  We did all of the required steps and received the green light to fly to Ethiopia to pick up our son!  It was such a relieving, amazing moment.  After 10 months of sweat, tears, paperwork, phone calls, e-mails, prayers and research- we did it!  Aidan was going to be in our arms within 48 hours.  How amazing was that?!?!?

We ordered glasses of wine to celebrate our adoption victory!

Prior to leaving for Cambodia, Ron and I researched tickets to Ethiopia.  We knew we arrived back in Bangkok around 1PM on Sunday, the 24th.  There were nightly non-stop flights from Bangkok to Addis Ababa.  We had a feeling we could clear and were planning on flying out that Sunday.  In fact, before leaving Chiang Mai, we packed for Ethiopia and Cambodia...we had 7 suitcases (1 for Cambodia, 2 for  Ethiopia, 1 for Aidan 2 for donations and 1 as a carry-on for baby gear), a car-seat and toys packed.  Talk about a car-load of a "hospital bag!"  We left everything for Ethiopia in Bangkok...just in case.  Well, turns out, we would be flying to Ethiopia on Sunday, as hoped for!

We looked at tickets and called to book them that evening.  We were able to use miles for Ron's ticket, but that meant that he would be flying to Ethiopia on a different airline and arriving 12 hours after I did.  He was flying Bangkok to South Africa to Ethiopia, whereas I was flying directly to Addis.  We discussed this and figured it was best to save the money and fly differently.  After all, Ron would arrive in Addis only a few hours after me AND I would be able to meet him at the airport...with Aidan.

1 comment:

  1. good evening
    ask you if is possible contact to me for ethiopian adoption on Biftu, thank you very much
    marco (Italy)

    illera@libero.it

    ReplyDelete