Sunday, January 13, 2013

Dear Aidan: Day 1


In celebration of meeting our son, hopefully becoming his legal parents in the next few days, and in following the purpose of this blog, my next several posts (21 posts to be exact) will take on a new form: “Dear Aidan.”  These posts will be an account of our journey in Ethiopia for 21 days and of meeting Aidan for the first time.  Everyday, I will post a new blog from a journal I kept in the hopes that the wait between now and bringing Aidan home goes by that much faster.  These past 21 days have been some of the best days of our lives and our travels throughout Ethiopia have been life changing.  I hope to one day put these letters in a book for Aidan to have forever!

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Dear Aidan,

It’s me, your brand new Mom!  Can you believe that?  I can't either!  But I can FINALLY say that!  Today was by far the greatest day of your Dad's and my life- it was the day we met you for the first time, held you in our arms, kissed you a thousand times and told you how much we love you.  It was quite the journey but every single minute of waiting was all worth it in the end.  You and your precious smile, perfect laugh and hilarious personality made everything worth the wait!



The day started at midnight.  Dad and I boarded our plane from Cairo to Addis Ababa.  Knowing that was the last leg of our journey before we met you was unbelievable.  Although we were exhausted, we were beyond excited!  People on the plane thought we were kind of crazy when we asked them to take lots of pictures of us and the signs that actually said, "Addis Ababa!"  Once on the plane, we both desperately tried to sleep.  Around 3:30AM, we started our descent to land.  The plane tracker on the TV screen showed the plane above Addis Ababa.  It was incredible to see that we were FINALLY IN ETHIOPIA!  Once we landed, we were greeted with Ethiopia’s brisk winter nights.  The air was so fresh and the sky was full of stars.  We quickly grabbed our suitcases, obtained our Ethiopian traveler visas and cleared customs.  Outside the airport, our driver, Eshatu, was waiting for us.  We loaded into the tiny Toyota Corolla and were driven to the Adoption Avenues Guest House in northwest Addis Ababa.  We were fascinated by the drive, especially at the number of people that were up early that morning running!  I'm not sure your dad would have been able to keep up!


Once we arrived at the Guest House, we dragged our tired selves upstairs and collapsed.  We set the alarm for 8AM- only 2 hours before we could meet you!  We immediately fell asleep under the sea of warm blankets!  Once the alarm went off, our eyes sprung open!  It was FINALLY the day we could meet you!  We took our showers, got ready, and prepared your bag of goodies.  We needed to make sure that we had all of your toys, books and stuffed animals.  The cameras were charged and we were ready!  That morning the guesthouse served egg rolls for breakfast, but I was so excited, I couldn’t even eat! I think I had 1/2 of a cup of tea, and that's it!

There was another family staying at the guesthouse that day- the Wilcox’s.  They had been there for a week and were adopting Eli, another little boy.  The Wilcox’s were very excited for us and our “Metcha Day.”  They went to the foster home, where you were living, first.  Then Eshatu came back to pick Dad and I up.  The drive to the foster home seemed to take FOREVER, although it was only 2-3 miles away.  As we pulled up to the gate, we saw “Adoption Avenues Agency Office” on the door.  Our hearts jumped.  This was it!   You were just behind these doors!  Once the car entered, we saw the foster home- a 2-storey building where the children lived.  Outside, the courtyard was covered in clothes and diapers hanging to dry.  There was also the family visiting house and the kitchen in the compound.

When we got out of the car, Eshatu called up to an open window on the 2nd floor, “Bedassa!”  A nanny stuck her head out of the window for a brief second and disappeared.  This was it!  Eshatu was able to film the morning for us, and Mr. Ronnie was able to take pictures.  We waited for what seemed like hours, waiting for you to be brought outside.  At the edge of the building, a nanny was coming down the stairs with you in her arms.  You were wearing a blue plaid shirt we had seen in previous pictures and blue jeans.  You were PERFECT!  You were beyond perfect.  Your face showed you were so brave the moment you saw us- you didn’t know what to think.  It was so surreal seeing your face- the face we had been looking at in pictures for over 3-months, in real life in front of us.  



The nanny smiled and brought you towards us.  I started to cry and I’m pretty sure your Dad did, too!  We walked up to you and just started talking.  You didn’t cry and just kept looking at us.  I know you were thinking, “Who ARE these people and why are they here?”  After a minute or so, I reached out to hold you.  Holding you for the first time was the best feeling in the world.  Everything seemed whole and complete.  You were exactly what I had hoped for and felt perfect.  You smelled so good, and your skin was so soft.  You just kept looking at me with your handsome eyes, studying me and trying to figure it all out.  Your Dad couldn’t wait to hold you, so soon I passed you to him.  It was then he started to cry.  Can I tell you that after 4 years, I’ve only seen your Dad cry once!  He didn’t even cry at our wedding, but he sure cried seeing you.  You were PERFECT for him, too!



The minutes flew by and we still couldn’t believe that Aidan Lee Bedassa Garberson, YOU, were in our arms and that we were in Ethiopia!  It was breakfast time and so we fed you your bottle, which you guzzled down!  You were so hungry!  About halfway through your bottle, I got your first smile.  Your smile was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  It just melted me.  From then on, you were ok with Dad and I.  



You absolutely loved your lion stuffed animal we brought.  Every time we rubbed it against your face, you smiled/laughed and did a face dive into his mane.  You were so happy!  In playing with you, we were able to watch your army crawl for the first time!  You were fast (and made your Dad proud)!  You loved your colored rings and squeaky giraffe.  All you wanted to do was play and explore.  I think you were excited that Dad and I wanted to play and explore with you.  Everything that fascinated you fascinated us!  You were curious, playful and happy.  I’m not sure if I’ve said this yet, but you were PERFECT!


Those 2 hours that morning flew by.  We had to say good-by for lunch and the nannies came to get you for your nap.  We went back to the guesthouse for a delicious meal made by Hereg and the chef.  Dad and I relived that morning and watched the first video with you over and over and over again.  We e-mailed Aunt Erin, Aunt Crystal, Uncle Chris and Aunt T, Nana, Papi, Grandpa and Mimah with the first family pictures.  We couldn’t wait to share our new family with our extended family.

That afternoon, we went back to the foster home for 2 more hours of fun with you!  Although Eli took a nap (3-5PM was your nap time), you DID NOT want anything to do with sleep.  All you wanted to do was eat, play and explore.  You and your Dad became instant friends.  He adored playing with you and helping you learn new things.  He was fascinated with all you could do.  And he was touched that you became his son and that he forever had a father-son bond with you.  What a special moment. 


I loved playing with you, too.  But you soon realized that Dad was more fun to play with and Mom was the best to snuggle with.  You reached out to be held by Dad to play and to me to be held and cuddled with.  And you kept smiling and laughing.  We learned that you are right-handed and are ticklish- especially your feet and belly.  And when I gently blew air on your face, you laughed like crazy.  It was the most precious thing I had ever seen!

Although I tried hard not to cry too much, I did cry multiple times!  I kept telling you over and over again that you were my son and that I would ALWAYS be your Mom.  I would always love you, care for you, play with you, support you and encourage you.  Knowing that I would forever love you and have you as my son has been the most meaningful feeling I have ever felt.  During these crying times, you just looked up at me with your big brown eyes, as if you understood.  Somehow, deep down, I think you realized that I was your Mom and you were my son.


The day flew by!  At 5PM, it was time for us to go.  The sweet nannies once again came to take up upstairs.  Dad and I went back to the guesthouse, elated, but exhausted!  After eating a delicious dinner, we retired to our room.  Once there, we re-watched every video we had taken of you that day.  We hugged and cried some more (I know, we’re pathetic) knowing you were our son.  Before long, we collapsed into bed and quickly fell asleep, eager for our next day with you!

I can't wait to keep documenting our journey with you!  I hope you sleep well, little one!  And I can't wait for another fun-filled day tomorrow!

Love Always,
MOM  (oh, it feels good to say that)!

1 comment:

  1. He just couldn't be any more perfect! Congratulations to you all!

    ReplyDelete