Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dear Aidan: Day 6

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dear Aidan,

As I write this, I know that it will be my last journal entry for 10 days that is centered around spending time with you!  It breaks my heart knowing it will be 10 more days before I can hold you again.  However, tomorrow morning, Dad and I are off to explore northern Ethiopia.  Although we won't be spending time with you, I hope you forgive us and understand why!  In coming here, we want to learn as much about Ethiopia as we can so that we can share stories, memories and adventures with you as you grow.  Our hope is that these stories will suffice until you're old enough for us to bring you back to Ethiopia to create memories of your own.  I love you more than anything- every little bit of you!  With that comes loving the country you're from and its history and culture.  We need to experience more of Ethiopia so that we can fully experience you!

This morning, Dad and I went on another walk around the neighborhood- that last walk for awhile.  We did our normal route, and it felt so good to get outside.  It always does!  We love the exercise, fresh air and meeting new people.  Along the path we take, there are at least 20 people begging.  On the first day, Dad and I didn't pass out money.  However, we quickly noticed that the locals would stop and pass out money, no matter how little they themselves had.  In seeing that, Dad and I realized that the people begging on the street were in dire need and that it was ok to give money and food to them.  Unfortunately, this isn't always the case in other countries.  As such, Dad started carrying 1 birr coins and bills (about $0.06) for us to pass out.  Many of the people are blind from what looks like severe eye infections.  In Ethiopia, it is evident that the country is trying to be more handicap friendly, but there are limited resources.  There are billboards up throughout the city regarding blind people.  We know that it is a major issue here.  Whenever Dad and I gave people money, they would clasp our hands, thank us, and then offer some kind of blessing.  They were all so sweet and the roughness of their hands tore my heart.  Although they couldn't see me, I hope they felt my compassion through my hands.

The guest house was a bit lonely this morning since the 2 families left yesterday.  However, Ms. Zaela was there to liven it up, which was wonderful!  She is so cute and friendly, and it's wonderful to see how much she loves her new friends at the guest house: the chef, Hereg and the security guards.  I think they love having her around, too!  I know we did!

When Dad and I return from our walks, I shower and get ready first.  It takes me a little longer to get ready than your Dad, so he used the time to "work out" in our room.  Our room wasn't that big, and we didn't bring any weights with us (that would have been way too heavy for a plane).  However, Dad used chairs to do dips and our suitcases to use as weights.  It was very funny to see how discombobulated the room was when he was done, but he made it work!  There are a few gyms we have seen around Addis, but they're not within walking distance.  I think our room gym has worked well enough for Dad!


When we were at the foster home, you were brought out in blue capri pants with butterflies and a blue shirt!  It was very cute, but very funny to see!  The nannies at the foster home do a great job of caring for all the babies everyday and keeping them in clean clothes.  There isn't much of a clothing gender preference and anything goes.  Most of the time, your outfits matche in some way.  Although we laugh about it, it makes me stop and think.  In America, our children don't just have 1 outfit, they have enough clothing to mix and match to make a gender-specific outfit.  Children in Ethiopia do not have that.  They very often have 1 outfit that they wear until it is extremely too small or too worn.  The nannies therefore, I'm sure, were raised not caring too much about what a baby is wearing.  As long as they are clean, clothed and warm, that's all that matters.  This lesson hit home as in America, there is such a frenzy for stylish children's clothes.  I hope to continue to remind myself trends, brands and style truly don't matter at the end of the day.  I hope that if I find myself fretting about what you're wearing or what brand it is, I travel back to your pictures and stop myself to see what's really important- a baby that's warm, happy, healthy, clean and fed.  Nothing else should rival that!


How sweet is this picture, by the way?  You truly love your Dad and I have loved watching you two bond!  There is nothing quite like it!  I love your Dad so much more now after having met you!

You continued to entertain us at the foster home.  Zaela spent some time playing with you today and it was very cute to see.  She was very encouraging and gentle with you.  She truly loves her baby sister, but I think she enjoyed playing with you as you are a few months older than Amari and can do a bit more.  

When we got to the foster home this morning, I waited for you at the bottom of the stairs.  When the nanny brought you down, you recognized me and reached for me.  Once you were in my arms, you smiled.  This moment was priceless as it showed you recognized me, trusted me and liked me!  I know you look forward to your days with Dad and I because of the attention and love that you receive!

Dad and I really wanted you to work on your crawling, so we kept moving your rings to crawl across the floor.  Every time you got close, we moved the rings back a little more.  I know you were thinking, "NOT COOL, Mom and Dad!"  We can tell you're getting faster and stronger.  Before long, you'll be actually crawling across the floor instead of army crawling!  You can also pull yourself up on furniture such as chairs and tables or your Dad and I.  It's so funny to watch you try to pull yourself up and over Dad when he's lying down.  It takes you awhile, but you can do it!

Today, we were planning on going to your original orphanage, Biftu Orphanage, at lunch to see where you lived for a few months.  However, we were told that the orphanage director was in Harar, a city east of Addis Ababa, for a holiday.  As such, we would have to wait until we returned from our adventure north.  We decided to go the the museums in downtown Addis instead.

For lunch, we had some of the most delicious fish I think I have ever had!  It was fantastic!  The chef at the guest house sure can cook!  After we ate, we loaded into the car with the McCoys.  We first went to the National Museum of Ethiopia.  This was a fantastic museum that housed many treasures of Ethiopia.  In the basement, we saw fossils of many human relatives and finally saw Lucy!  Her skeleton is so tiny!  I love how proud Ethiopians are that human kind originated from this region!  There is a LOOOOOONG history here!  We also saw many exhibits displaying other ancient animals and fossils that existed in Ethiopia.  On the first floor, there was an exhibit showing ancient archaeological finds from Ethiopia, many thousands and thousands of years old.  There were also more recent treasures, such as crowns and thrones from Kings and Queens within the past 2 centuries.  There were also royal robes, almost all of which had lion fur on them.  The lion is a strong symbol of Ethiopia, so you truly are our little lion!  On the top 2 floors, we saw traditional tools and dress from the countryside.  There was also an exhibit of Ethiopian art.  It wasn't a large museum, but it was wonderful to learn more about Ethiopia and its culture!








The second museum we went to was the Ethnological Museum.  This museum is in King Haile's former palace, which is now located inside the University of Addis Ababa.  Remember how earlier I wrote about there being many blind people in Ethiopia?  Well the University had signs all around promoting diversity and acceptance.  There were also many blind students.  It makes me happy to see that people with disabilities are getting opportunities for education in Ethiopia.


Inside the museum, we learned about life in Ethiopia in 3 stages: Birth/childhood, adulthood and death.  The museum focused on how different tribes and ethnic groups in Ethiopia celebrate different things relating to these life events.  The museum was very well-done and informative.  Dad and I learned a lot!  I think the most interesting fact we learned is that Orthodox Christian Ethiopians "fast" (are vegan: eat no animal products) for 250 days a year!  Meat is a luxury here and great celebrations occur when the fasting is over!  At the end of the museum, we saw King Haile's bedroom and office.   It was a beautiful palace and I am glad work has been done to maintain it over the years.







After the museum, we returned to the foster home.  We enjoyed playing with you for the last 2 hours before our trip.  Today, your entire personality came out and we experienced how active you really are.  You don't want to sit still!  When I was feeding you your bottle, you wanted food, but wanted to play, too!  As such, you sat on all 4's to drink so that you could still play around.  It was hilarious!  Your dad said it was a good thing I had experience bottle feeding calves as that's just what you looked like (but MUCH cuter, which is hard to do)!




When 5PM came, we were sad to say good-bye.  I cried a little bit, but I knew that you were in great hands.  The nannies love you and it wouldn't be long before I see you again!  In fact, many of the nannies have nicknames for you!  One nanny calls you, "Kimmie!" which is short for "Kimaya," your first name at the foster home.  Another calls you "Bedu" short for Bedassa.  It makes me smile knowing that they're around you enough to have nicknames for you.  Dad was said leaving as well, but we would see you in 10 days!




When we arrived back at the foster home, we packed our things for the trip north.  We left 1 suitcase and carry-on behind and locked it up.  We didn't need as much for our 10 day trip.  Dad and I have become very good at sharing a suitcase for travels!  Once we were packed, we changed into dinner clothes.  We said our good-byes to the McCoys, who are flying back to California tomorrow night.  It's sad to think that the last of our crew is leaving!  They were so sweet the entire trip and we loved having Mrs. Lisa there for support as she had done the Ethiopian adoption thing before!  Our driver drove us to a restaurant near the airport called Yod Abyssinia.  This is a traditional Ethiopian restaurant with dancing and singing.

One of my students from American Pacific International School is from Addis Ababa!  She was in Addis visiting her mom and sister for Christmas.  Honey and her family met us at the restaurant for dinner.  It was so nice to see her in her home country and meet her family!  They were so much fun!  They ordered traditional food for us on injera.  Dad and I also tried our very first honey wine.  It was a bit strong, so Dad drank most of mine.  During dinner, various performers sang and danced.  They were extremely talented.  At the end of the evening, there was a challenge dance.  The professional dancers challenged people in the audience to dance.  Many of the locals easily rivaled the dancers in their skills, including our driver and Honey's sister.

Your dad was challenged to dance, but because he was a foreigner, they brought him on stage.  I hate saying this, but the honey wine proved to be very useful for this dance.  The dance was rapid and crazy, and Dad had to follow along.  Believe it or not, he actually did it and looked decent at the same time.  After almost a minute of fast dancing and leg moves, the audience clapped and Dad received hugs from the male dancers!  I think they were impressed with how Dad moved and could almost keep up!  He was an honorary Ethiopian tonight!  You would be proud!

We said good-bye to Honey and her family and thanked them for inviting us.  It was a wonderful evening and a great start for our journey northward.  We were driven back to the guest house and finished packing.  It was almost 11 by the time we went to bed!  

I hope you're sleeping well sweet Aidan!  I know tomorrow we won't be with you, but we'll be with you in your thoughts and you'll be in our hearts.  I'll continue to document every part of our journey for you.  I hope to see Ethiopia through your eyes and make memories for you.

I love you so much and I'm sorry we're leaving you.  As I said before, I think the outcome will be worth it!

All my love,
Mom

1 comment: