Friday, January 18, 2013

Dear Aidan: Day 5

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dear Aidan,

As I write this, I hope that you are wrapped up in your little bed in a sea of blankets, sleeping well.  We had yet another busy day and I know you are tired!  I wish that you sleep well so you're well rested for tomorrow!

I think I say this everyday, but today was another fantastic day!  It was very busy, but wonderful!  I think, well, I know, last night was the worst night of sleep I've had since we first arrived!  For some reason, I can't sleep through the night here.  Dad and I went to bed yesterday around 8PM.  Around midnight, I woke up thinking, "It's got to at least be 4AM!"  When I asked Dad what time it was and he said, "Midnight," I exclaimed, "ARE YOU SERIOUS!" I proceeded to wake up intermittently throughout the night, some times an hour apart, some times only ten minutes later to ask what the time was.  Needless to say, I need to work on sleeping more!  I think it's just that I'm so excited for mornings and my chance to see you that I just want the morning to hurry up and arrive!

This morning, Dad and I met with Mrs. Bridgette and Mr. Matt at 7AM to go for a walk.  They hadn't explored around the neighborhood much, so we had a great time showing them all we had discovered!  We felt like the local tour guides on our little route!  When Mrs. Bridgette flew to Ethiopia to meet Keira, it was her first time flying!  Dad and I were both incredibly impressed with how open, eager and adventerous Mr. Matt and Mrs. Bridgette were in Ethiopia!  They have an amazing story in that they were led to Ethiopia to adopt and were willing to take many more "firsts" than many other families needed to in order to adopt.  

During our walk, we stopped by the local school again to show Mrs. Bridgette and Mr. Matt.  Mrs. Bridgette is a 5th grade teacher, and she absolutely loved seeing the school!  While we were there, we met a local teacher who was straightening the classrooms.  It was wonderful to see how happy the local teacher was!  They posed for pictures and exchanged big smiles!  We were able to give the teacher a bag full of pens to give her students.  On the way out of the school, children were just beginning to trickle in.  


When we returned to the guest house, there were some children outside.  Mrs. Bridgette was able to pass out the rest of the toys she had brought to give away.  The children seemed to swarm out of no where for a toy.  A simple toy here is like gold to the children.  They cherish it.  I hope that is something Dad and I will always be able to remember, and hopefully instill in you.  You don't need much in life to be happy.  The people in this neighborhood don't have much, but yet, they are some of the most loving, polite, happiest people I have ever met.  Dad and I want to focus on that- relationships, connections and giving, over the material things in life.  I know that's hard, but it's something we'll keep trying at!

Today was another big day for the families!  The McCoys and Hayes' had their court dates, and it was the Milams and Wilcox's last day.  It was a day of excitement and sadness thrown into one!  For the past few days, many of the people at the guest house were sick.  There was definitely a stomach virus going around.  Dad and I were grateful we had brought our JuicePlus+ with us and were taking it everyday!  It helped prevent us from getting sick and supplemented our diets in fruits and veggies that we definitely weren't eating enough of!  I can't wait to have you try the gummies once you have some teeth!  Luckily, all of the families were feeling better and we had 100% attendance at the foster home!

This morning, you were a bit sleepy, but quickly drank your bottle.  You only stop to cough if you're drinking too fast.  If not, there's no stopping you until it's gone!  Have I told you that you take after your Dad in that sense?  I can only imagine how much you'll eat as a teenager if you keep up this appetite!  I already cook enough food for 5 people when it's just Dad and I eating!  I guess I'll start having to practice for a 10-person amount of food :)

You continued to amaze us with your curiosity.  You truly are one of the most entertaining babies I have ever seen.  You love your rings and think tasting them is a fun game.   You love pulling my hair and grabbing your Dad's nose (which will never get old as I still laugh EVERY time)!  You think it's funny to put your hand or fingers in our mouths while we make funny sounds.  You love throwing your books around and looking and colorful pictures.  Your favorite toys so far are either your giraffe chew toy or your lion stuffed animal.  You LOVE chewing on your giraffe- I guess that means you'll have teeth coming in soon!  And you LOVE burying your face into the lion.  If you have nightmares about lions attacking you, I apologize!  Dad and I are always rubbing the lions' face against yours because it makes you smile so much!  

I also had you stand in your Dad's shoes today, which was very sweet!  Your feet are so little compared to his!  But you're growing and I know before I know it, I'll be wishing I could have the days back when you had baby feet!






This last picture is one of my favorites!  I think you realized that I love you to the stars and back, and then some!  Maybe you've realized I'm your Mom and that you'll NEVER have to be alone again!  I love the way you're looking up at me!  You are my perfect son!

Dad and I needed to change your diaper today, which was quite the adventure!  You are such a wiggle worm!  Sitting still is not your forte!  You do not want to miss a minute of play time!  It took both of us, but FINALLY we had you in a new diaper after you shed a few tears (I'm sorry)!  The funny part came when we put your pants on!  Dad help you upright in the air and I tried putting your pants on that way.  It took about 30 seconds but I was SURE each leg was in the right pant leg.  You suddenly squirmed and somehow, both legs were in the same pant leg.  Dad and I (and the other families) laughed and laughed.  I know that sounds mean now, but it was so funny!  When we put you on the ground, you looked like a mermaid with your legs together.  You being typical Aidan didn't miss a beat, and you instantly rolled over and started squirming across the floor- both legs still stuck in the same pant leg!  It was hillarious! 




As always, the morning session with you flew by!  The nannies came to feed you lunch and we went back to the guest house.  After lunch, Dad went with Mr. Alemu to the US Embassy to see if he could talk to someone about helping him get a visa.  I stayed at the guest house and waited.  Around 3:00, Dad returned, but with no luck.  He definitely tried to help, but there were set rules in place he couldn't get around!  We were a little late returning to the foster home, but when we did, it was wonderful!  The McCoys and Hayes' had passed court and were proud parents of Amari and Harper!  We were so excited for them!  In 2 days, 4 new couples had 4 new babies!  

Although all of the families enjoyed our time with you little ones that afternoon, it was difficult because we knew the inevitable was coming.  Today was very difficult on all of us because we hadn't watched a family say good-bye to their babies yet- only hello.  Although only the Wilcox's and Milams were leaving tonight, we were all dreading 5PM when it was time for them to say good-bye.  When 5PM did arrive, we were given a few extra minutes holding you.  It was incredibly difficult to watch both families hug their babies and say good-bye.  Although it is only good-by for hopefully 6 weeks or so, it is still very difficult.  We all waited months to meet you, and when we finally do, we have to say good-bye.  Adoption is truly a roller coaster ride of emotions, but worth every tear!



I told the other 2 families that we have to say, "Good-bye" in order to say "Hello" again!  That's very true in this process and I know that will get me through our last day with you.  Saying "good-bye" means that you passed court and there's just 1 more part left- clearing Embassy!  After that, you're home free!  

By the time the Wilcox's and Milams said good-bye, we were all in tears.  Just like we all cried when we watched each other meet our babies, we cried when we said "Good-bye!"  We saw each other at the best of days and the worst of days, but all shared the same journey,

Once we were in the cars, we headed to a restaurant called Island Breeze.  It's a restaurant in downtown Addis Ababa that serves western food- hamburgers, pizza, chicken, etc.  On the way, it was fun driving through town and seeing the sites.  Dad's favorite part was the fruit/banana stands!  He's in heaven here!  Dinner was very nice and the perfect last night for the group!  All 5 families went as well as the drivers and Hereg!  It was like our big Ethiopian family was eating a family meal!  We toasted to new friends and new families and enjoyed our meal!


After dinner, we returned to the guest house to say our good-byes.  The Wilcox's and Milams were off to the airport, and we were incredibly sad to see them go.  In such a short period of time, we became great friends.  Our adoptions bonded us in ways that will always connect us.  We hope that we can all get together often in the future and that you can be great friends with Eli and Keira as you all 3 grow!  We hope we can have Ethiopian reunions!


Once inside the guest house, we went upstairs to bed.  It was a very emotional day for all involved and we were exhausted.

Sweet dreams sweet Aidan!  I cannot wait for more time with you tomorrow and to bond even more with you, my son!

Love Always,
Mom

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the photos of Aidan in Ron's shoes! Your journey has been a pleasure to read! The families you bonded with sound like amazing people. I'm so glad you have lifelong friends over this AMAZING experience! Looking forward to reading about Day 6! X's and O's to you, Ron, the pups, and little Aidan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christie! Those pictures still make me laugh, although Aidan didn't seem too entertained! The other families were fantastic and it was great to have people to talk to that understood all the emotions and feelings! Ron is in Laos this weekend for a soccer tournament, but he'll be home later tomorrow night. Will you guys be around your Sunday AM?

      Delete
  2. Kelly,
    We just got a referral of a beautiful little boy that is already at the foster home. I was wondering if you got a chance to meet him or take any pictures of him. His name is Ageraman and he is around 9 months. I am so beyond excited to get to Ethiopia to meet him. You can email me at Betsy.phill@gmail.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy!

      Thank you for contacting me! In the 6-12 month old room, there were about 10-12 babies. I'm sure that's where he's been hanging out, and I'm sure him and Aidan/Bedassa are playmates. I didn't read or really see the names of the other babies as they were out of the cribs on the floor playing both times I went in. I'm sure I saw him though, I just don't know which one he was! Do you have a picture you can send me? kelly.garberson.dvm@gmail.com? If so, that will help! Congratulations on your referral! The wait is crazy, but it is all worth it. Hang in there! You'll always be moving forward, even if it's just baby steps!

      -Kelly

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelly,

    I'm adopting from Ethiopia too as a single mo and from the same agency! Because of this, I'll be traveling there alone for the court date. I just wanted to know what your opinion was in terms of safety in Addis. Do you think it would be safe for a woman to go there by herself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ana!

    How far are you in the process? Congrats on the journey- it's quite the adventure but AMAZING! You won't have any trouble traveling to Addis alone. The foster home and guest house are in a great area and the staff are very caring and protective. They want to walk with you everywhere, even if it's just a simple trip down to the corner to get a coke. So you won't really be traveling anywhere alone- someone, either staff member or another family, will be with you everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly,

    Thanks. I feel much better now and I'm just in the early stages of the process like having my home study/ Dossier done. Quick question, did you suffer from altitude sicknes of any kind like shortness of breath? I was kind of concerned about that too. Congratulations on your new son as well. He's adorable!
    --Ana

    ReplyDelete