Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dear Aidan: Day 4

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Dear Aidan,

Merry Christmas!  Today finally arrived and we were able to celebrate your very first Christmas with you!  What a fantastic day and memory!  It will always be a Christmas that Dad and I will never forget!  I know- you won't remember, but we have great pictures, video and stories to share with you as you grow!

To start the day, Dad and I went on another walk this morning.  It was a brisk morning, about 50 degrees, but clear skies.  We left the guest house around 7AM, as usual.  I slept a little better last night, or at least, Dad did, which meant I didn't wake up as much!  During our walk, we explored the neighborhood again, taking the same route that we did yesterday.  Although it is the Western Christmas, Ethiopians don't celebrate Christmas until January 7th.  Therefore, everyone still had work and school.  Dad and I enjoyed our walk up and down steep hills.  I slowly feel that I'm not so out-of-breath as I was on our first walk!  There is a large elevation change compared to Chiang Mai!  While walking, we continued to say, 'Salam" to everybody!  


 
This morning, I said "Salam" to an older lady who was walking slowly, barefoot.  Once I said hello, she stopped and smiled!  Her smile kept getting bigger and bigger until she was laughing!  She barely had any teeth and had skin worn with age.  As she was laughing, she reached out to shake Dad's hand.  I stuck my hand out to shake her hand after Dad, but she pulled me in for a very big hug!  She kept exclaiming things in Amharic, but what they were, we don't know.  Soon, Dad and I were smiling just as much as she was!  Meeting her was the perfect start to our Christmas- warm smiles, hugs and love!

We also found a group of boys playing soccer on a hill on their way to school.  They let me join in their game for a little bit, which was so much fun!  It's amazing and wonderful at how athletic and active people here are!


Back at the guest house, everybody else was already up!  Dad and I got ready in our Christmas outfits we had brought for your very special day.  I haven't talked much about the guest house, so I will now.


The guest house has 3 true stories.  Outside, there is a large brown gate and there is always a guard (there are 2 that rotate).  They stay outside in a guard hut and are in charge of opening and closing the door.  Once inside, there is a small driveway, just big enough to cram 2 cars in it.  There is a very small yard and some bushes.  Going downstairs, there are a few rooms where some of the staff live.  Once you enter the house, there is a foyer and stairs, as well as a bathroom.  There is a decent kitchen where all of our wonderful meals are made.  Then there is a large room divided into the living room and dining room.  The dining room has a table for 6 people and chairs.  There is also a desk with a laptop, where we can go online.  The living room has a chair, couch and loveseat, as well as a TV and chimney.  There are a few TV channels in English, where we can watch some movies at night.

The 2nd floor has 3 bedrooms.  Rooms 1 and 2 have queen beds, nice wooden furniture and large closets.  There is a shared bathroom and shower/tub for those 2 rooms.  Room 3, where Dad and I are staying, has a queen bed, wooden furniture and its own small bathroom with a shower.  There is also a small balcony.  On the 3rd floor, there is a larger room with 2 beds and a bathroom.  Finally, there is an open rooftop on the "4th" floor, where you can look out below and see all of the stars at night.  The guest house is very nice and homey for everyone!  It is very relaxing after a day exploring and spending with you!









Once we were ready, we had a breakfast of pancakes- YUM!  They were a perfect breakfast and I don't think I could have eaten mine fast enough!  Dad and I collected your 2 Christmas outfits we brought and the rest of your presents.  Off we went to the foster home!

Once at the foster home, all 5 families found places on the floor to play with our babies!  Dad and I quickly changed you into Christmas PJs that I had brought.  Back in August, right before we moved to Thailand, I went to the local thrift store.  I found the PJs, sized 3-6 months with snowmen on them.  They were brand new and still had their original tags.  At first, I walked past, but I returned to purchase them.  I knew it was a long shot that we would be in Ethiopia over Christmas AND that they would fit, but I thought, "Just in case!"  Turns out, I was right!  You wear 3-6 month old children sizes AND we were in Ethiopia over Christmas!  You look unbelievably cute and warm in your PJs! 


 
We let you open your final presents of stuffed animals.  Again, you were more interested in the wrapping paper than the toys!  The other families put Christmas outfits on their little ones for some brief pictures!  Eshatu, our driver, gave you a small wristband of the colors of the Ethiopian flag and the word "LOVE."  You wore it all day and it completed your outfit!





That morning, you loved opening your presents and were as cute and active as ever!  We loved spending our time with you and making you laugh and smile.  It became evident that you were comfortable with us, and we were much more comfortable caring for you!  By the end of the morning, you were dozing again...in MY arms!  I was 2 for 2 now!  Your Dad has competition for nap times!  Once again, the nannies came to get you around noon and we returned to the guest house for lunch.




The Wilcox's and Milams had court today, so they left after lunch.  We wished them luck and finished our meal.  After lunch, Dad and I took a walk around the neighborhood with the Hayes'.  We had a wonderful conversation and it was nice seeing the hustle and bustle of things around the guest house in mid-afternoon.  It looked like the school was having lunch, and Mrs. Hayes and I made lots of friends with the girls!  They were so cute.  Well, they're all beautiful!  When we got back, the Milams had just returned and THEY PASSED COURT!  We were all so excited for both families to have their babies legally theirs!  Dad and I knew that your turn would soon come...we just have to keep waiting a bit longer!

When we returned to the foster home, the staff was setting up for our Christmas party!  It was a big deal and they went all out to entertain us!  We had thick, yummy bread, popcorn, a coffee ceremony and cake!  There were also bottles of pop for all!  The older children came into the visiting room for the party, so we were crammed, but it was perfect!  The staff had an Ethiopian music video playing on the TV and many of the older children were able to show us their dancing skills.  I firmly believe that all Ethiopians are born knowing how to dance!  Even the young children began moving their shoulders when they heard the music!  Mrs. Bridgette and I, who were both in awe of the dancing skills, were joking with the social worker and said, "In America, there's a saying that white girls can't dance!"  She laughed and said, "I've heard that many times before!"  It seems like we weren't the first moms amazed with the dancing!



Before the coffee ceremony, Mr. Alemu and Mr. Bure gave speeches to the families.  They both thanked us for looking to Ethiopia to find our children and to help Ethiopian children.  They explained that not all American families look to adopt, and that many who adopt do not look outside the United States.  They were truly grateful that we looked beyond the US to Ethiopia and that our hearts found us you!  It was very touching and made all of the families grateful that the Ethiopian staff were just as thankful for us as we were to them!  


After the speeches, it was cake cutting time!  The cake had Pringle chips on it for decoration, and "Merry Christmas" was spelled a little wrong.  But that didn't matter!  It was the thought that counted!  With the cake, we had our freshly roasted, crushed and brewed coffee with A LOT of sugar!  Dad and I actually drank the coffee and believe it or not, it was GOOD!  REALLY GOOD!  That was the first time in my entire life that I enjoyed coffee!  During the rest of the party, the older kids kept dancing and all the families took pictures!  


I was able to take some very cute videos of you wearing a Santa hat that we brought!  You were so playful and were cracking me up!  I loved it!  We also had you wear a shirt that said, "My First Christmas" on it.  You were very handsome! 




 

After we finished eating, the party moved outside to the courtyard.  There, the older kids played soccer and we laughed.  The social worker has an old Beatle Bug car and at least 12 older kids piled into that car to play!  Before long, it was literally shaking from dancing children!  What a site it was!





 Around 5:30, it was time to say good-bye to you.   Dad and I were grateful for the extra 30 minutes we had with you, but were very sad to say good-bye!  Every day with you gets better and better and each good-bye gets harder.  But we know you receive such good care at the foster home and that your nannies love you so very much!  That made everything a bit easier!

Back at the guest house, Dad and I were able to call Papi and Nana, Aunt Erin and Mimah.  We had to quickly wish them a Merry Christmas, but they were all eager to hear much more about you!  They were having wonderful Christmas' back in the US and thought us spending Christmas with you was the best present of all!  After our phone calls, we all ate a delicious Christmas dinner of pasta.  We sat around, laughed, talked and watched movies before going to bed.

For Christmas, Dad and I didn't really give each other presents.  We just gave each other cards.  We didn't really need or want any presents this year.  As I said yesterday, Santa had already given us the greatest present of all- YOU!  When I first decided I wanted to be a Mom through adoption many years ago, you were exactly the baby I put on my Christmas list- happy, healthy, funny, entertaining, energetic, active, PERFECT!  I think that 12 years later, Santa kept track of my wishes and made my Christmas wish come true with you!

Merry Christmas sweet Aidan!  Dad and I couldn't be  more blessed that we were able to spend this day with you!  We cannot wait to help celebrate many more Christmas' with you as you grow!  Christmas is all about love, happiness and family.  We definitely got all 3 this year!  How LUCKY are we!

Sweet dreams little one!  I cannot wait for tomorrow!

All my love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment